My Blog List

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Cadbury Mini Egg Cookies


With Easter just around the corner, the shops are stocked up with my favorite chocolate candy, Cadbury Mini Eggs. I love, love, love these little guys. They are so pop able, I have to put them in a remote location so I don't eat them in one sitting. Do you love mini eggs or are you a fan of the cream eggs? The cream eggs are pretty good but they don't really hold a candle next to the minis.


I purchased the big bag (18oz) thinking it would hold me through the rest of the season...WRONG! I wanted to make cookies and I didn't have but a 1/4 cup of mini chips in the house. (Clearly I need to go shopping) So I rummaged through the candy drawer to see what I had. I have thought about mini egg cookies before but was always hesitant to make them. I always thought the dough would over shadow the the vanilla shell/chocolate flavor. I dwelled on the option but decided to wing it, see what would happen.


I'm just saying,I'm glad I took the leap. These babies are delicious and not much harder to make than a chocolate chip cookie. You need to smash the eggs, I tried chopping them whole, but that proved dangerous. Just place the mini eggs in zip lock bag and smash them with a rolling pin. I then chopped them into smaller pieces, just because that's how I like them, you could totally skip that step if you wanted. After smashing and chopping I got started on the dough.


I have seen a lot of recipes floating around that say to use cornstarch instead of baking soda in cookies to make for a softer cookie. I thought, well if ever there is a time for a soft cookie it is now. I also used powdered sugar in the recipe, I find this increases the softness too.

Recipe:
1 8oz bag of cadbury mini eggs (the regular sized bag, not the huge one or the mini size bag) smashed
2 1/4 C Flour
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C powdered sugar
3/4 C white sugar
1/2- 1 Tbs vanilla
2 eggs
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2-1 tsp salt
3/4 C melted unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350*

In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Once melted mix together with sugars then add eggs one at a time until combined. Mix in the vanilla, salt and cornstarch. Finally, slowly add in the flour. I do this is 3 parts and with the last part I add in the crushed mini eggs.


Drop spoonfuls of batter onto ungreased cookie sheets. These do not spread much.  Bake for 8-10 minutes. After cooling slightly on tray remove cookies to cookie rack for further cooling.

Makes 24-36 tbs sized cookies (ish)

Enjoy these guys while you can. Easter will be here soon and the mini eggs will be gone!!

Piece.

3 comments:

  1. I've just discovered the Cadbury Mini Eggs (I know, I know!) and find they are delish! I crave them all the time now! Your recipe sounds easy enough that I might venture to try it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you like them!! I love hearing feedback and make sure you get some more eggs before they are gone!

    ReplyDelete