My Blog List

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Strawberry Cinnamon Trifle

Trifles are so easy to pull together. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to make one of these! A few days ago I had a family get together with my oldest sister and younger brother. Katie was in charge of dinner: venison steak, blistered green beans, homemade mac and cheese and french bread, it was amazing! Since she did such a terrific job at dinner I was left to compete with dessert.


I had recently made some cinnamon chip oatmeal cookies and the batch made a TON! so what's a girl to do with left over cookies? I racked my brain with desserts to make and remembered a time when I had a cinnamon ice cream topped with strawberries (it was outta this world) so I wanted to play on that. Time was limited so I went with what I knew was easy and fast, trifle.

I went to the store, purchased a cook and serve pudding (or instant) a little thing of heavy whipping cream (to make whipped cream) and a thing of fresh strawberries. Honestly I meant to pick up instant pudding but when I don't look at the box thoroughly I get cook and serve pudding....  I guess it's all the same in the end.  You cold clearly save yourself some time and purchase premade pudding and cool whip, but I love homemade whipped cream.

After making the pudding and whipped cream then chopping the strawberries and cookies,it was assembly time. I like to mix a little whipped cream into the pudding to fluff it up a bit. I put a layer of pudding in the bottom of a clear bowl (so everyone can see the layering) a layer of chopped cookies, a layer of sliced strawberries then top it with whipped cream. I did another round of this layering then topped it with left over cookies and strawberries.


Honestly folks, I loved, loved, loved this trifle. I liked it so much I had it for breakfast the next morning! Please make this for your friends, they may think it's a unique flavoring at first but it is outta this world, for reals!

Recipe:
1 box of instant vanilla pudding
1 container of whipped cream (homemade if you want)
1 container of fresh strawberries
12 cinnamon oatmeal cookies (recipe below)

Follow the instructions on the pudding box.
If making homemade whipped cream make sure to freeze the metal bowl and beaters that you will mix the whipped cream in. Remove from freezer (only needs to be in there for about 15 minutes) Pour in heavy cream and a few tablespoons of sugar (sweeten to your liking.) Turn your beaters on medium speed as the cream thickens increase the speed. Mix until the cream can hold its shape (stiff peak test)
Chop the cookies into half bite pieces to little chunks (or whatever size you like) Chunk the strawberries into quarters.
In a clear bowl, layer the pudding then cookies then strawberries then whipped cream. Continue layering until you have run out of room. Cover the trifle and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Oatmeal Cookie recipe:
1/2 C. Shortening
1/2 C. Butter
1 C. Sugar
1 C. Brown Sugar
2 eggs
2 vanilla beans ( 2 tsp. Vanilla)
1 1/2 C Flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 C. Quick Oats
12oz bag of cinnamon chips

Pre heat oven to 350*
Grease cookie sheets
In a bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
In a mixing bowl combine butter and shortening and sugars and beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mix in vanilla. Slowly add in flour mixture. Stir in oats one cup at a time then add the cinnamon chips. Once combined, spoon batter onto cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes. Cool slightly than transfer to cookie racks to finish cooling.

Piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment