My Blog List

Friday, August 31, 2012

S'mores Cake balls


Gosh, I love this movie! I was just talking to RJ about it yesterday. He has never seen this movie... I know, CRAZY! This is a a perfect summer time movie.

I made these cake balls last month for my sisters birthday- yay, Happy Birthday! We all went to the beach, ate subs, drank beer and had s'more cake balls. I adore cake balls, because they are popable little bites. You don't have to worry about slicing a cake, just take a ball and 2 bites later it's on to the next one. Or you can wait to have another one. Maybe I like them more because I feel like a heifer when I keep slicing two-bite slices of cake.

Don't act like you don't know what I'm taking about... we all go back to the pan at some point and just slice a sliver because we want something sweet, but not a whole slice and then you go back like five minutes later and do it again, then again then you realize you've had the equivalence of a whole slice so all those trips were no pointless... okay maybe you don't do that - maybe I do - either, either, I don't judge. Any who, cake balls are rockin'.

I used a box of white cake mix, my toasted marshmallow frosting, chocolate melting candy, and crushed graham crackers. I prefer my grahams to be a chunky crushed. I think when you crush them too fine they loose the graham flavor, but that's just a personal choice. Feel free to crush them however you see fit.

If you've never made cake balls, they are kinda tricky. I suggest you go to bakerella's website and check out her tutorials. She will give you a much better explanation than I can. But a helpful hint: the stickier your marshmallow frosting, the better the cake balls hold together. I probably used close to 20 marshmallows to 3 cups of powdered sugar.


Directions:

Follow directions on cake box. Allow cake to completely cool before crumbling.
 
 
Make frosting. Add frosting, very carefully not to add too much frosting, if you do, the balls will not hold up. I suggest adding a dollop or two at a time. When the cake starts to mush together and stay together without a lot of crumble, roll cake into balls. I roll mine about 1- 1.5 inches.

Place balls on a lined cooking sheet, cover and place in the fridge for a few hours. This allows the cake and frosting to make  a stronger bond, which you need since you are dipping them in warm chocolate.

Crush the grahams into a bowl. Melt the chocolate according to the package. Take the balls out of the fridge. One at a time, cover the balls in chocolate, shake off the excess then drop them into the graham. Once they have grahams on them, transfer them back to the cookie sheet so the chocolate can harden. When all the balls are covered and rested transfer them to a seal able container. If it is hot where you are living I suggest keeping them in the refrigerator.


These really are delicious! Make them for your next summer bash, they will be a hit.

Piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment