My Blog List

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Confetti Cakes

I'm super excited about this post, it was a long time in the making. I know I have left you all hanging for 12 days (!) yikes, but it was for good reason. You see I was creating a baby shower cake for my dear friend Erin. Per her request, I made confetti cake based on my confetti cupcake recipe. Topped it with vanilla butter cream frosting and sprinkles then covered it in fondant.



If I don't say so myself, it was good :) I was very honored to make this for her I'm excited for her bundle of joy to make it's appearance. I was also anxious for this cake because it was my first fondant cake. I was super pleased.

While the cake was for the shower I had a few slices leftover so I brought them home. RJ was a big fan of this cake, I may make it for his birthday. I feel like this cake opened a door to my creative cake design, now I want to make a million different types of cakes.

I probably should have take a picture of the actual cake, maybe next time but if you make this recipe you an see if before I post :)

1/2 c.    Butter
1 C.       Sugar
2            Eggs
1 tsp      Vanilla
1/2 C.    Milk
1 3/4 C. Flour
2 tsp      Baking Powder
1/4 tsp   Salt
1/8 tsp   Cream of Tarter
1/2 C.    Sprinkles

Preheat oven 350*  makes 12 cupcakes or one 9" pan

Beat butter and 3/4 c. sugar until fluffy. In a separate bowl sift flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl separate the egg yolks from the whites. Add the yolks one at a time to the butter mixture then vanilla. Alternately add flour and milk to butter mixture, start and end with flour.  Beat egg whites until peaks form, add cream of tarter and remaining sugar, continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter. For the sprinkles, dust with a spoonful of flour, make sure all sprinkles have a bit of flour on it and then fold in with the batter. Even divide in cupcake cups or add to pan.

Cupcakes: Bake 17-19 minutes
Cake: Bake 30 minutes

Butter cream
1 C.       Butter
2 C.       Crisco
1/2 tsp  Salt
1 tsp      Butter flavoring
1 tsp      Vanilla
1/2 tsp   Almond
1 lb       Powdered Sugar

Beat butter, Crisco and salt until combined. Add flavorings. Gradually add powdered sugar, one cup at a time. You may need to add or lessen the amount of sugar depending on how you like frosting consistency. This recipe makes A LOT of frosting so you will need to lessen it for cupcakes. This frosted two 9" cakes plus I had left overs.

 Sprinkle the cupcakes or cake with more sprinkles and enjoy! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment