My Blog List

Monday, February 14, 2011

Chocolate Shortbread...

Not my favorite...
I told you I would post about all of my trials and tribulations, well, this was a tribulation. I tend to think I'm my toughest critic and this recipe is no exception. I had this great idea of what I wanted to make and it didn't turn out quite the way I wanted, but it wasn't too bad.

My work decided to have a fundraising bake sale for our two charities, St. Jude's and the SPCA, and I convinced myself to bake something. I definitely wanted to go simple but slightly Valentines-y and definitely chocolate. I had been craving shortbread a few days ago, but then I saw a picture or chocolate dipped sugar cookies and thought that looked delicious, so what's a girl to do...? In my creative thinking I decided to make chocolate shortbread (simples) and dip half of the cookie in white chocolate that I dyed pink(valentines0y). Cute idea right... right!

I found a chocolate shortbread recipe, I have never made shortbread cookies before, but I knew they didn't require a lot of ingredients. The best shortbread cookies I've ever had were made by my best friend in High School, they were fabulous, but she never gave me the recipe. Maybe it was a family secret...?

Anyhow, back to the recipe

1/2 C  Butter
1 tsp   Vanilla
1/2 C  Sugar
1  C    Flour
2 TBS Cocoa

Yup that's all it takes. Turns out though, I had to add 1 1/2 TBS light cream, it just wasn't pulling together for me to make a dough. Once it was all combined I rolled it out, much too thin for what I envisioned I was making. Sliced them up, forked little holes in them and then baked them at 300 for 20 minutes. While cookies are cooking...

Chop up white chocolate (3-6 oz)and melt in microwave. If you (are fancy and )have a double boiler you could probably melt chocolate that way. Once it's out of the microwave about 30 -45 seconds stir until smooth. Add red food coloring until desired color. Frost or dip half of the cookie in melted chocolate. Let cookies set up on wax paper chocolate side up.

Pros: The cookie tasted as I had hoped
Con: Too thin and crispy. I would imagine doubling the recipe and not rolling it out to thin would correct this issue.

I suppose we will see if anyone wants to buy my cookies... I may be crushed if they don't...  not really, it will just mean back to the mixing bowl.

OH, it's Valentines Day today so I will be making my boo a Boston Creme Pie  AND Homemade heart shaped pizzas <3 I'll tell you all about it once it's over.

But in the mean time, Happy Valentines Day!!

3 comments:

  1. We made pizza on Valentine's Day too! Not heart shaped, but pizza nonetheless.
    So the dough wasn't pulling together? Do you need to soften the butter more, or maybe melt it altogether? Just a thought.
    Love the blog, Megs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 lb butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup cornstarch
    5 cups flour
    Beat butter and sugar. Combine flour and cornstarch and gradually add to the butter mixture. Knead into a dough. Press into a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 275 for 1-1.5 hours.
    *disclaimer: I'm totally sure that you can make something a thousand times better. But this one does bring back old memories. (Like the time I dyed them pink for valentine's day and cut them into little diamonds and some guy thought they were ham cubes!)
    -Anyway, so happy that you're doing this blog to share your baking adventures! You inspire me to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS ALLYSON!!!! Now I can finally make them. YUM and the rest of the world can too since you posted it online :)

    ReplyDelete