My Blog List

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

*phew* That is a long title, but I'm not sure how to shorten it, so that's what it will be!

I had a strong aching to bake something yesterday, but my pantry was kind of bare to make something extraordinary, so I went with what I had. You see, I was debating on whether to make molasses cookies or gingerbread cupcakes. Most of the day I was set on making cookies, but then I remembered I had lemon cream cheese frosting left over from some lemon cupcakes I made not too long ago, and decided to make cupcakes instead. I know what you are thinking, but Meghann, you didn't even use lemon cream cheese frosting, I know, I'll explain.


I was doing research one day on something to make with lemon frosting. I had just made lemon cupcakes, (fabulous recipe) and had some left over frosting, so I wanted to use it up, waste not want not. In my research I saw gingerbread bars with lemon frosting. I thought this was an interesting combination, but I could see it complimenting each other, maybe.

Anyways moving on to present day I decided to make gingerbread cupcakes and use up my lemon frosting. I told RJ my great plan and he seemed a little less then thrilled with combo. You see RJ is my taste tester for everything and miraculously he likes them all, what a good boyfriend :) I decided to go ahead with my plan.

A few recipe look ups later and a few adjustments to fit my palate I came up with this recipe.

1 1/4 C.    Flour
1 1/2 tsp  Ground Ginger
1 tsp        Cinnamon
1/4 tsp     Allspice
1/4 tsp    Ground nutmeg
1 tsp       Salt
6 TBS     Butter
1/2  C.    Brown Sugar
1             Egg
1/2  C.   Molasses
1 tsp.     Baking Soda
1/2 C.   Hot water


1/2  C.  Brown  Sugar
4 oz      Cream Cheese
1 tsp.    Cinnamon
2 TBS   Butter
1/2 tsp  Vanilla
3 tsp     Light Cream
2 - 3 C. Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 and line 12 muffin wells.

In a mixer beat butter, once fluffed add brown sugar until combined. Add egg then molasses. In a separate bowl combine flour, spices and salt. In yet another bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water. Now alternately add flour and baking soda mixes to butter mixture. Start with the flour mix and end with the flour mix.  Fill lined muffin wells about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes.

Mean while in a separate bowl beat butter and cream cheese until combined. Next beat in brown sugar and cinnamon. Once combined add vanilla and cream. Gradually add powered sugar till it's the consistency you like. I used probably about 3 cups.

When the cupcakes come out the tops will have a dent in the middle. I imagine the less you fill the wells the less likely you will have a dent. But that's OK because you can just fill the dent with frosting! Yum :)

What I liked about this cupcake: It made my house smell like Christmas! The flavor was Divine.

What I would do differently: Fill the wells a little less and maybe dissolve the brown sugar a little before adding it to the frosting, if that's possible...?

Anyway, that is my best new invention for you. Oh and as it turns out RJ liked the cupcakes... go figure :)

Until next time... Piece :)

Oh once I can I will upload some pictures. YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment