My Blog List

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Toasted Marshmallow Milkshakes

As many of you know, I am a camping girl. I grew up around camping... literally, my parents owned a campground and we lived on the premises. But don't worry we lived in a house, not a 5th wheel :) It was great, I loved all the people and all of the campfires, especially the s'mores! One day I had s'mores cereal for breakfast, regular s'mores for lunch and a s'more pie for dessert... it's OK I was young and had a high metabolism.

I'm sure you get the drift, I like marshmallows, especially when toasted over a campfire. Do you like s'mores? Did you make them camping or just in the microwave? Did you ever go camping? What is your favorite camping story? I have millions of them. RJ on the other hand, has none... :-( poor lad's never been and has no desire to go. In fact the first time he ever had a real campfire s'more was with me, I forced him to sit outside by a campfire and roast a marshmallow. He may or may not admit that to you, but it wonderful.



Moving along I also love milkshakes. This is the time of the year when Shamrock Shakes show up at McDonald's, for those of you who have not had one a Shamrock Shake is basically a minty vanilla shake and it is fabulous. When I moved to Raleigh, RJ and I searched high and low to find a Mickey D's that had one, but no such luck... UNTIL today when I found a location that supposedly has them, I will keep you updated.

So with those details in mind I bring you to the toasted marshmallow milkshake. I originally heard of this concoction on food network but forgot about it. Then I was surfing through some food blogs and someone mentioned on their site. I decided it was my turn to make it. Now you could probably use this recipe with marshmallows toasted over an open fire, but since I live in a town home, the HOA will not let me have a fire pit... *sigh* so I use the broiler.

1     C    Vanilla Bean ice ream
3/4  C    Milk
1/4  C   Light Cream
1/2 tsp  Vanilla extract
5-8        Toasted Marshmallows

On a cookie sheet lined with tin foil, place 5 - 8 regular sized marshmallows. Turn your broiler on to low. Once the oven starts to heat up place your marshmallows in there. Keep your eye on them, they toast up quickly. You will want a little charring, but mostly keep them golden brown. If necessary rotate the cookie tray after browning starts. Remove from broiler and allow them to cool.

In a blender add all other ingredients. Once marshmallows have cooled add 3 or 6 of them to the blender. Blend all the ingredients till they are your desired consistency. If your mixture is too thick add more milk, if it's too thin, add  more ice cream. Pour into a glass and garnish with the left over toasted marshmallows.

These are soo good I think I will make one when I get home :) Enjoy.

Piece

No comments:

Post a Comment